B2B sites have a challenging job: They need to support business customers through long, complex buying processes, they need to generate leads for the sales team, and they need to be a resource for existing customers after purchase. Ensure that your business-to-business website stands out among the competitors. Know what customers need when trying to complete tasks, such as comparing products, sharing options with colleagues, building a shortlist, and signing up for information.
Featuring complex products and services, catering to a diverse audience, and accommodating long buying cycles does not mean your website must be difficult to use.
This 419-page report presents 188 user-experience design guidelines based on our user research. Discussions and 301 screenshot illustrations supplement our findings.
- Get in the heads of business customers: Understand what motivates them to do business on websites
- Optimize content to support each stage in a long, considered buying process
- Support collaborative purchasing processes and help your customers justify purchases to leadership
- Create better B2B mobile, tablet, and responsive sites
- Designing for diverse audiences
- Personas: Putting faces to your business customers, special sectors
- Understand how people’s experiences on general websites affect their expectations on B2B websites
- Understand the needs of “users” and “choosers”, and how to speak to both key audiences.
- Checklist of 181 UX guidelines to convert more business leads into customers
- Demonstrating how you solve your prospects’ problems
- Making product and service pages compelling
- Building comparison charts that win customers
- Including the right technical specifications
- Building a better About Us page
- Creating lead-generation forms that encourage conversions
- Displaying complex pricing scenarios
- Using content strategy to showcase expertise and attract prospects
- Best practices for images, multimedia, and videos
- Contact: phone, chat, forms, and information on contact page
- B2B shopping cart and checkout
- Registration and online account management
- Proof of business benefits: Case studies, white papers, and technical documents
- Strong calls to action
- Supporting and maintaining customers after the sale
- Partner-specific custom websites
- The online impact of offline marketing dollars
- Considerations for international customers